Skip to main content

Advance directives

What if you became ill or injured and could no longer communicate with family members or healthcare personnel to let them know your wishes and what kind of care you would like?

By completing a document called an advance healthcare directive, you can make your wishes known, letting your physician, family, and friends know your preferences, including the types of special treatment you want or don't want at the end of life, your desire for diagnostic testing, surgical procedures, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and organ donation.

  • You have the right to give instructions about your own healthcare.
  • You also have the right to name someone else to make healthcare decisions for you.

All Humboldt General Hospital, patients receive information regarding advance directives upon admission. In order to be in compliance with the Federal Patient Self-Determination Act (PSDA) passed by Congress in 1990, HGH now asks all patients over the age of 18 if an advance directive has been drafted. HGH has formal policies to ensure that your wishes about treatment are followed.

If you present an advance directive to us when you register, this information will be maintained in your medical records. If you have not completed an advance directive and want information, we will provide it to you. You are not required to have an advance directive to receive medical care. Resources are available to answer questions you might have.

An advance healthcare directive booklet is available in the HGH Business Office. It includes forms to complete. It is also available online.

For more information about advance healthcare directives at HGH, please contact the HGH Social Services at 775.623.5222, ext. 1440.

More resources for advance healthcare directives, durable powers of attorney for healthcare, and living wills are listed below: