Advance Directives

What if you became ill or injured and could no longer communicate with family members or health care personnel to let them know your wishes and what kind of care you would like?

By completing a document called an advance health care directive, you can make your wishes known, letting your physician, family and friends know your preferences, including the types of special treatment you want or don’t want at the end of life, your desire for diagnostic testing, surgical procedures, cardiopulmonary resuscitation and organ donation.

  • You have the right to give instructions about your own health care.
  • You also have the right to name someone else to make health care decisions for you.

All Humboldt General Hospital patients receive information regarding advance directives upon admission. In order to be in compliance with the Federal Patient Self-Determination Act (PSDA) passed by Congress in 1990, Humboldt General Hospital now asks all patients over the age of 18 if an advance directive has been drafted. Humboldt General Hospital has formal policies to ensure that your wishes about treatment are followed.

If you present an advance directive to us when you register, this information will be maintained in your medical records. If you have not completed an advance directive and want information, we will provide it to you. You are not required to have an advance directive to receive medical care. Resources are available to answer questions you might have.

An advance health care directive booklet is available in the HGH Business Office. It includes forms to complete. It is also available online here.

For more information about advance health care directives at Humboldt General Hospital, please contact the HGH Social Services at (775) 623-5222, ext. 1440.

More resources for advance health care directives, durable powers of attorney for health care and living wills are listed below: